You’d be surprised just how experiential Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can be. Come play and learn some new frames that just may inspire more flow and creativity with your enactments and invitations.
We will explore ways for experiential and process based therapists to adapt and take inspiration from methods and principles from two forms of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy TEAM-CBT and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
Given the interests of the group, a selection of methods will be demonstrated and practiced. See some examples below:
- Setting up a Daily Mood Log as a moment of mindfulness, of “illumination” from the process model
- Using empty chair techniques within the framework of role plays used in cognitive behavioral therapy. Externalization of Resistance—siding with the good reasons clients think, feel, and do what they do—supporting allowance and flow
- Externalization of Voices – taking over the client’s negative thoughts, allowing the client to respond- not as a form of battle but from a position of greater perspective and connection to self
- Compassionate Double Standard – client speaking as they would to a dear friend who is just like them, accessing compassion through externalization.
- Paradoxical Double Standard – client speaking to a dear friend in the same harsh way their inner critic speaks
- Playful methods for unhooking from sticky thoughts- includes singing, dancing, visualizing, lots and lots of fiddling!
- Straightforward methods for unhooking from sticky thoughts – Thank you Mind, Notice and Name the Story, seeing thoughts as thoughts
- Self Kindness – Kind words / kind hands
- Connecting to values and sense of vitality- visualizations, guided imagery of past moments, future moments, your funeral, etc.
Location: ◼PTI's Offices
Times: 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Cost: $25-$15 suggested donation at the door.